Wednesday, March 08, 2006

The Journey Begins

Well, they are more than half way to Beijing as I prepare this post and will land around 1:30am our time - 2:30pm Beijing time. I'm guessing there won't be much sight seeing today.

The house is so quiet it's eerie. Might as well enjoy it as it will probably be the last time for the next 20 years!

I've been following someone else's journey to their daughter from the same orphanage and the poor thing is having a hard time adjusting. I've been learning alot as I've followed several trips to "Gotcha" day and communicated with many adoptive parents via Yahoo groups over the past few months. It's good to know what to expect. And one thing we can expect is that Katerina will need the time to mourn her loss and all that was comfortable to her; as pitiful as that may have been.

"Gotcha" day for us is Monday and I can't wait to get those first pictures. In the meantime, the travelers will be going through cultural orientation in Beijing. (One of my staff cautioned me that they may come back in fatigues and waving a red flag) As long as they bring Katerina home they can come back wearing and waving whatever they please.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is all so very interesting. Looks like I will be on here twice a day !
Congratulations Mommy ! Thanks for the update.
Love,
Merriam

Anonymous said...

First time on a blog. Can not think of a better use for it than to watch the progress of our niece making her way home to her mommy.Great Job Kris, Thank You for sharing this with us, in such a neat way.
P.S. Would love to have seen mom aka Emma's face when she was told one suitcase.

Anonymous said...

Grand aunt Dale and uncle Lou say..

We are so very very happy for you, and are enjoying keeping up with everything via this blog....(maybe someone can explain the term blog to a couple of oldies....)

Katarina sure is going to experience a lot of love.

P.S. I got her (Emma) a smaller carry on, and suggested she leave 4 of the 7 pairs of slacks, along with some other "too many things"... don't know if she did!

Anonymous said...

I've been following someone else's journey to their daughter from the same orphanage and the poor thing is having a hard time adjusting. I've been learning a lot as I've followed several trips to "Gotcha" day and communicated with many adoptive parents via Yahoo groups over the past few months. It's good to know what to expect. And one thing we can expect is that Katerina will need the time to mourn her loss and all that was comfortable to her; as pitiful as that may have been.


Hey Kris,

I tune into your daily blog everyday, like tuning into "The Bold and The Beautiful" soap opera.

Anyway, re your above comment -- Larry said it's a very good sign when the child has separation issues from the orphanage or whomever they've been with -- it shows that they can establish emotional connections, which is very important, in building healthy loving relationships for the future. So, keep that in mind and pass that along to whomever.

Thinking of you guys a lot!!!

Love,
Gail & Larry